Your Legal Rights with the Police or in Court
1. If stopped by the Police, ask the Police if they have an arrest or search warrant.
2. If they don’t have a warrant, calmly ask to leave. (activate any cell phone recording device if necessary)
3. Don’t answer any questions by police except license/ id and insurance.
4. Don’t take any Field Sobriety Tests at all.
5. If arrested, you have the right to be quiet and the right to a lawyer. ASK FOR A LAWYER and USE IT!!! Police can lawfully LIE to You. Don’t talk to anyone about your case period.
6. In Court, you have the right to reasonable bail, to have an attorney, and to present your defense at trial. This is not TV. Don’t negotiate with a Prosecutor/DA/ Solicitor. They are lawyers for the State and cannot/will not help you.
7. GET A LAWYER. DON’T PRACTICE LAW ON YOURSELF. IT IS A FREE TRIP TO JAIL.